PHA & SIL Expert
Mr. Jamie Merriam is an Electrical Engineer (automation) with over 27 years of experience in industry. His experience includes construction, maintenance and project engineering. His work experience includes Pulp and paper, mining, conventional/heavy oil, sweet/sour gas, forestry and fertilizer production, offshore oil/gas production. Mr. Merriam began leading Hazop/LOPA reviews in 2002 as part of his duties with Suncor. Now with ACM, Mr. Merriam continues to support Suncor, Cenovus and other clients execute effective hazard analysis. He has applied knowledge in Instrumentation, Process Control and Functional Safety for industry. Mr. Merriam’s field experience, communication and leadership skills, combined with his understanding of Process Safety makes him an effective and competent facilitator and educator. Mr. Merriam is a professional engineer and TÜV Functional Safety Engineer (SIS and PH&RA).
Previous Projects Highlights:
- Canadian Fertilizer Industries (Hazop and LOPA)
- Plains Midstream
- Spectra Energy Transmission
- Enbridge Pipelines
- Terra Nova FPSO
- Edm. Refinery Upgrade
- Fort Hills
- MR2 (Petro Canada)
- Firebag 3
- Tailings Reduction Operations
- Coker Upgrade (Suncor)
- Enbridge gas compression (Sarnia)
ACM Automation Inc., Calgary, Alberta 2012- Present
Instructor 2012 to present
- Instructed and co-instructed numerous courses including:
- P&ID Engineering Drawings Interpretation
- PHA Leadership Workshop
- SIL Determination Workshop
- SIL Validation Workshop
- Safety Lifecycle Workshop
- Management of Change Workshop
- Incident Investigation Workshop
- Instructed Suncor Risk Management Technical Competency Development Training Program.
- Instructed NWRP PHA HAZOP & LOPA Participant Workshop.
- Facilitator and Safety Lifecycle Leader for HAZOPs, LOPAs, What-If, FMEA’s and HAZIDs.
- Start-up/Shut-down procedure development
- SIS design/validation
- SIS field audit standards development
- Partial list of training/PHA clients:
Suncor, Shell Canada, CNRL, Plains Midstream, Spectra Energy, Cenovus, Enbridge, Howe Sound Pulp and Paper, Wood Pellet Assocation of Canada, Pinnacle Renewable Energy Inc., Orano Canada, Cariboo Pulp and Paper Co., West Fraser, Teck Resources, Repsol, WorkSafe BC, Fortis, Husky Energy, Devon Research Centre, Saskatoon Research Counsil, K+S Potash Canada, Co-op Refinery (Saskatoon), CF Industries,
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE, CONTINUED
2002-2012 Petro Canada/Suncor Energy Inc., Calgary Alberta
Process Safety Management (PSM) Implementation Lead, Oilsands Projects Division.
- Engineer (First point of contact) for all PSM issues within divisional projects.
- Provide two way communication between corporate PSM team initiative and division project managers.
Engineering Lead (Instrumentation), Tailings Reduction Operation (TRO)
- Responsible for integration of an automation team (Including: MP, Operations, Vendors and EP contractors)
- Development and execution of I&C scope on fast paced project from FEED through commissioning
- Participate in and monitor quality of all Hazop assessments and address action items.
Sr. I&C Engineer, Fort Hills Project.
- Development of standards and procedures for I&C scope via central engineering group.
- specialist for Hazop, LOPA and SIS reviews with EPC’s.
I&C Maintenance. Engineer, Terra Nova FPSO• Develop and manage I&C maintenance engineering activities on the facility.
- Responsible for maintenance and verification of facility SIS
- Participant in relevant Taproot investigations
- Participate and lead operations HAZOPS.
1999-2002 Cahill Instrumentation Ltd., St. John’s, Newfoundland
Assistant General Manager.
- Responsible for day-to-day operations of a clean room, calibration/repair facility
- Responsible for Technical labour support for offshore projects.
- Field engineer for construction and commissioning of instrumentation and F&G systems on Terra Nova FPSO.
1988-1997 Contractor (Const./Maint.) Instrument Mechanic/Designer Calgary Alberta.
(Various employers through Alberta, BC, Ontario)
- Installation, testing and repair of field instruments for oil/gas facilities.
- Design and construction of boiler/burner management systems.
- Pre-startup safety review for new and upgraded facilities.
- Projects included; Husky upgrader, Lloydminster; Turbo Refinery, Calgary; INCO, Sudbury; Nova Corp., Calgary